Kenya may seem like a farfetched destination for the typical Australian, but in reality, it is the perfect up-and-coming country for the intrepid traveler. This amazing African country has something for everyone, whether relaxing on Diani Beach, exploring historical sites, or enjoying a once-in-a-lifetime safari on the plains.
However, before you travel to Kenya, it is mandatory to obtain a visa. If you are an Australian citizen that wants to obtain a visa to Kenya, read the following information to find out how to apply for a Kenyan visa online.
Do Australians Need a Visa for Kenya?
Yes, all Australian citizens and Australian passport holders are required to have a visa before they can enter the country of Kenya. There are two ways of going about this: Travelers can save time and apply for an electronic visa (also known as an eVisa) online, or they can receive what is known as a Kenya visa on arrival for Australian citizens.
Applying for an electronic visa (eVisa) saves you the time and hassle, and also means that travelers will not have to wait at the visa on arrival counter at the airport. Thankfully, the online visa application process is quick and simple and should take the traveler less than half an hour to complete. We have outlined the requirements and application process below:
Kenya Requirements for Australian Passport Holders
In order to apply for the Kenya visa for Australian citizens, there are a handful of requirements that Kenyan visa applicants must follow. Here is a list that includes, but is not limited to, the requirements:
- A valid passport: Perhaps the most important requirement, all Aussie travelers are required to have at least six (6) months validity on their passport before they can travel to Kenya.
- Passport information: All travelers will need to submit a few basic passport details, such as the passport number, nationality, date of birth, date of passport expiration, and so on.
- At least one blank page in the traveler’s passport: This is to ensure that the immigration officer has enough space to place the stamp in the traveler’s passport.
- A digital photograph: Please make sure to have a clear and colored photo of yourself (the traveler) that was taken within the last six months. It must be taken against an all-white background, provide a full frontal view of the traveler’s head and shoulders, and with a neutral expression.
- A basic travel itinerary: Travelers may be required to submit their travel plans, such as which cities they plan to go to, which activities they would like to do, and a copy of their hotel/accommodation details (where they plan to stay during their trip).
- A return ticket: Immigration officers may ask to see a return ticket (or an onward travel ticket) to ensure that the traveler does not overstay their allotted time in the country.
- A form of payment: You will need a form of payment, such as a debit card or credit card, in order to pay for your Kenyan visa.
How to Apply for a Kenya Visa from Australia
In order to get a Kenya visa, travelers must fill out the Kenyan electronic visa application form for Australians with the required information (including personal details, passport details, travel plans, and more). It is advised to have the paperwork mentioned above nearby so that travelers can refer back to them while filling out the application.
After completing the application, Australian travelers must submit the application and wait for an average of two business days (48 hours) in order to receive their approved visa in their email inbox. The Kenyan single-entry visa is valid for 3 months from the issue date, the visa holder has 90-days to enter Kenya. A Kenya visa for Australian citizens is initially valid for a stay of up to 30 days.
If travelers wish to stay longer than 30 days, they must apply in-person for a Kenyan eVisa extension at the Immigration Headquarters in Nairobi (Address: Nyayo House 20th floor, Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway). The visa can be extended twice, first for 2 months, and then for 3, bringing the total possible stay in Kenya to 6 months.