No matter the reason for travel to Kenya, there is one important document that every traveler must have: a visa. Thankfully, the visa application process for Kenya is quick and easy and often takes less than one hour to complete. We have compiled a guide to the visa requirements, process, and how to get a visa for Kenya for British citizens.
Do British Citizens Need a Visa for Kenya?
Yes, it is mandatory to have a Kenya visa for UK passport holders (British citizens) in order to legally enter the country.
Thankfully, the process to obtain a Kenya visa for British passport holders is fast, easy, and simple. All travelers have to do is fill out an online application form, wait approximately two to three days for the visa to be approved and processed, and receive your Kenya eVisa in your inbox. Once approved, British travelers are permitted a 90-day stay in Kenya.
Kenya Visa Requirements for British Travelers
There are a handful of requirements that applicants must follow in order to get their Kenya visa for British passport holders.
Here is a list that includes most of these requirements:
- All travelers must have at least six (6) months’ validity in their passport before they can travel to Kenya
- All travelers will need to submit a few basic passport details
- At least one blank page in the traveler’s passport
- A digital photograph in color that was taken recently
- Travelers may be required to submit their travel plans, such as which cities they plan to go to, which activities they would like to do, and a copy of their hotel/accommodations (where they plan to stay during their trip)
- Officers may ask to see a return ticket (or an onward travel ticket) to ensure that the traveler does not overstay their allotted time in the country
- A form of payment, such as a debit card or credit card, in order to pay for your Kenyan visa.
How to Apply for a Kenya Visa from the UK
Afterward, travelers must submit their application and wait two to three business days (48-72 hours) in order to receive their approved visa in their email inbox.
A Kenya visa for UK citizens permits a stay of up to 90 days. If the traveler wishes to stay longer than 90 days, he or she must apply in-person for an extension at the Immigration Headquarters in Nairobi (Address: Nyayo House 20th floor, Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway).
The extension is granted for an additional 90 days and allows the traveler to stay in the country for that period of time. Travelers are also advised to make sure to print out a copy of their eVisa to present upon arrival.
If you are planning to visit Kenya, it is a good idea to apply for your visa as soon as you know your travel dates. By having your Kenyan visa ahead of time, you will be able to enjoy a stress-free trip.