Kenya is one of the most up and coming countries for adventurous travelers. This country is filled to the brim with amazing wonders, such as the Old Town in Mombasa that was founded in the 14th century by Swahili Sultans. Perhaps you’d like to explore the 11 miles (17 kilometers) of beautiful beaches of Diani along the South Kenya Coast. Or maybe you would like to witness one of the Big Five (lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant, and Cape buffalo) in the wild on safari.
No matter what your reason for visiting Kenya, it is important to obtain a visa before you can enter the country. Thankfully it is quick, easy, and most applicants usually get their eVisa within two to three business days.
Learn more about the Kenya visa requirements for Canadian Citizens, the application process, and how to apply.
Do Canadian Citizens Need a Visa for Kenya?
Yes, Canadian citizens are required to have a visa in order to legally enter Kenya.
Thanks to an agreement between Canada and Kenya, there is a much simpler and faster way to get a Kenya visa for Canadian citizens. There is no need to wait in line at the embassy, no need for an in-person interview, and no need to collect stacks of paperwork in order to apply.
In fact, travelers can apply for their Kenyan visa online and in under an hour.
Kenya Visa Requirements for Canadian Citizens
There are a a few requirements travelers must follow in order to obtain their Kenya tourist visa for Canadian citizens. Here is a list that includes some of the requirements that travelers may need to present:
- A valid passport: Perhaps the most important requirement, all Canadian travelers must have at least six (6) months of validity remaining on their passport before they can travel to the country of Kenya.
- Passport information: All travelers will need to submit a few basic passport details, such as the passport number, nationality, date of birth, date of passport expiration, and so on.
- At least one blank page in the traveler’s passport. Having at least one blank page is to ensure that the immigration officer has enough space to place the stamp in the traveler’s passport.
- A digital photograph: Please make sure to have a clear photo in color of yourself (the traveler) that was taken within the last six months.
- A basic travel itinerary: Travelers may be required to submit their travel plans, such as which cities they plan to go to, which activities they would like to do, and a copy of their hotel/accommodation (or where they plan to stay during their trip).
- A return ticket: Immigration officers may ask to see a return ticket (or an onward travel ticket, if you plan to visit other countries) to ensure that the traveler does not overstay their allotted time in the country.
- A form of payment: You will need a form of payment, such as a debit card or credit card, in order to pay for your Kenyan visa.
By following these simple Canadian visa requirements for the Kenya visa, travelers be able to apply for a visa for Kenya online.
Kenya Visa Application from Canada
In order to apply and receive an approved visa, travelers must fill out the Kenya visa application for Canadians. Please be sure to have all of the required documents (mentioned above) nearby so that you can access them while filling out the application.
Afterward, travelers must submit their application and wait two to three business days (48-72 hours) in order to receive their approved visa in their email inbox. The Kenyan single entry visa is valid for 3 months before you travel. Please note that a Kenyan visa enables a stay of up to 90 days. If travelers wish to stay longer than 90 days, they must apply in-person for an extension at the Immigration Headquarters in the capital, Nairobi. The visa extension is granted for an additional 90 days.